Dr. Freya Stein is board certified in equine internal medicine, having completed advanced training and qualifications during her residency at Oklahoma State University in 2012-2016. Internal medicine comprises respiratory, gastrointestinal, neurological, endocrine, renal (kidney) systems as well as infectious and immune mediated diseases.
Dr. Stein is pleased to offer the following services at our Newman Lake hospital:
- Respiratory endoscopy, including guttural pouch examination
- Chronic respiratory disease workup
- Endocrine disease evaluation (PPID, Equine Metabolic Syndrome)
- Unexplained weight loss evaluation
- Neurologic evaluation, including spinal taps and myelograms
- Intralesional chemotherapy for sarcoids and other skin tumors
- Comprehensive ultrasound services (chest, abdomen, neck, masses, and miscellaneous structures)
- Medical diagnosis and hospital management of colic, pneumonia and pleuropneumonia
- Medical diagnosis and management of contagious cases requiring hospital care, such as colitis, complicated strangles infections, fever of unknown origin
- Management of sick neonates
Dr. Stein also works with the ophthalmologists at Animal Eye Clinic of Spokane to care for complicated eye conditions which may require surgery (performed at our hospital) and extended hospital care.